Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

Lover at Last? Barely...



Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Okay, I had to take a bit of time to write this review. I LOVE the BDB brothers, I really do. Most of all, this was a book I was eagerly waiting for: Qhuay.
Qhuinn and Blay have been friends since they were kids, have been there for each other through thick and thin. I expected their story to be Epic. After all, of all the couples in the BDB series, they were friends first before anything else, unlike the other BDB couples - lust and instinct seems to take place and voila! they're a couple. But not Qhuay. Blay and Qhuinn were supposed to be, for me, the real thing.
After finishing the book, I was a bit, I don't know. Dissapointed.
This book felt like a set-up book: A book setting up other couples for future books; Sola and Assail, Trez and Selena, The Glymera, The bastards, Trez and his Betrothed, drug dealings by Assail, Xcor and Layla, Layla and the Baby, like 15 different POV's in this book...and Qhuay is well, somewhere in there - like. 15% of the book?

But as a true BDB fan, I stuck it out for the payoff, wanting to see these two amazing guys together at last, and I waited and waited, and waaaaited...
Then I blinked, and the book was over; and Epilogue ended with "happily ever after." (Cliche) Like, here you go. Now they're done. Say goodbye.
Seriously.

My reaction to their love story? how do I put this:

I wanted more than occasional hook-ups through the book as filler for other couples starting out. I wanted Blay and Qhuinn to court, spend time together, properly explore each other like Z and Bella, or Rhage and Mary, but nope. Disappointing indeed.
Will I read the King? Hell yes I will! Despite all, the book was interesting, and I love BDB.
IMO Blay and Qhuinn deserved better.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment